Thursday, August 20, 2009

Day -72 and counting

November is National Novel Writing Month also affectionately called NANOWRIMO. On November first thousands of will-be-novelists spend the entire month of November writing on their computers until they are blurry eyed. Their goal? To write an entire short novel of 50,000 words in just thirty days.

Last year was the first year I participated in NANOWRIMO but instead of starting a novel from scratch, I decided to try to finish the two novels that I had already started. For about fifteen days I worked on both novels but after a while I couldn't keep it up so instead I worked on the one that I eventually finished which is called When God turned his head. Because of NANOWRIMO When God Turned his head is currently being seen by a literary agent for consideration.

Because of my success with using NANOWRIMO, I've decided to start my third novel and write it throughout November. Although a lot of people have started writing at the beginning of the month without a plot or any real idea what they're going to write. That's not my plan. My plan is to get ready to write this novel in the same way that a runner gets ready for a marathon. My plan is to get organized so that I have other projects out of the way and have set aside time during November to write up to 4 hours a day. I plan to have some idea what I'm going to write each day before I actually do the writing and I plan to write not just 50,000 words during the month but I plan on writing an entire 300 page novel during that month. It sounds like a lot but it is actually only about ten pages a day. A truly doable amount.

Until November I'm going to tell what I'm doing in preparation for NANOWRIMO and hopefully make it interesting. During November I will give you the day by day word count. If you like many others are thinking about writing a novel, kicking off your writing adventure in November is a great way to get started. Feel free to comment at any time about where you are in your writing process in your novel. If you need help with your subject, feel free to discuss it here. I'm willing to help in any way I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment