Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Day -39 and counting

Just 39 more days until 2009 NaNoWriMo. It's a lot like waiting for Christmas. A couple of times I asked for books for Christmas when I was growing up. So the idea of getting into this new novel of mine reminds me of that. It also reminds me of Michelangelo who when asked about his statues said that what he planned to carve was already in the stone. All he needed to do was remove what wasn't part of the statue. I guess it's not quite like that. But when I start writing, the characters take control of the story and they make it happen. All I've got to do is write down what I see them doing. Sometimes I've been known to get stuck and not see what happens next so I throw a scenario at them to solve. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't but when it does work and the characters make the story their own, magic happens. I can't wait. It's like an addictive rush. It's like reading a story with my fingers. I see the scenes played out in my mind and all I have to do is write what I see. A fascinating road of discovery. Maybe that's why I'm antsy about writing this articles and why I'm stuck because I have the book in my brain and I can't let it out. It's taking too much space in my brain for me to function properly. But I'm so ready to write the book. So ready to see how much different the actual story is from the plotting that I've done for the book. But I must wait. I must wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment